Dentistry/root canal

hello dr joel,

I had root canal on my lower 2nd dentist said I don't need a crown now that my tooth is still strong... am still having pain on the tooth so I might still need to do another root canal on the same tooth...
my question is ..if I did second time root canal on the same tooth...will the tooth be more fragile to break if second time root canal is done on the tooth?

Thank you

jll - any time root canal treatment is done, the vital tissue within the tooth is removed and the tooth loses moisture and becomes more fragile.  If the root canal is done properly this second time and the doctor fabricating the crown is careful to make one that does not have excess forces applied to it when you bite down.  If done properly a root canal tooth, done once or twice, can have a crown placed, but it must be made and placed to no excess forces in chewing occur.  A skilled dentist and a skilled dental lab can have such a crown fabricated and place without any excess forces in normal chewing function.

So it can be done, but make sure the doctor is good and careful in doing the root canal treatment.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude