Dentistry/root canal

Question
hello dr joel,

I had root canal on my lower 2nd molar...my dentist said I don't need a crown now that my tooth is still strong... am still having pain on the tooth so I might still need to do another root canal on the same tooth...
my question is ..if I did second time root canal on the same tooth...will the tooth be more fragile to break if second time root canal is done on the tooth?

Thank you

Answer
jll - any time root canal treatment is done, the vital tissue within the tooth is removed and the tooth loses moisture and becomes more fragile.  If the root canal is done properly this second time and the doctor fabricating the crown is careful to make one that does not have excess forces applied to it when you bite down.  If done properly a root canal tooth, done once or twice, can have a crown placed, but it must be made and placed to no excess forces in chewing occur.  A skilled dentist and a skilled dental lab can have such a crown fabricated and place without any excess forces in normal chewing function.

So it can be done, but make sure the doctor is good and careful in doing the root canal treatment.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired