Dentistry/Root Canal

Question
XRAY
XRAY  
I recently had a root canal treatment in Germany (5 months ago). It was the worst pain I have ever been through (apparently I have a nerve area hard to anaesthetize). Since then the top of the tooth has broken in half to the post.

I went to a new dentist (also in Germany) to request a crown but he took an xray and told me that the initial root canal was sloppy work and was not complete and he therefore needs to do the root canal again before applying a crown.

As this was a truly painful experience I am worried to have the treatment again and I am also worried that by trying to remove the pin he may render the tooth useless for a crown.

Should I just request this tooth is crowned now or should I go through with the root canal again?

Help!

Answer
Hi Stuart,

I'm sorry you're going through all this. It's difficult for me to do a really good diagnosis without being able to exam you, but from the x-ray you included, if it were my tooth, I would redo the root canal as it is short of the end of the tooth and could cause it to fail in the future, then build the tooth back up and put a crown on. You may also need a little gum surgery as the level of the gum is very close to the top of the remaining tooth and a crown has to be fit so it is TOTALLY good tooth supported, not supported by a filling or material build-up.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but if you want this tooth to last, that is what appears to be needed. The only other option is to have the tooth extracted and replace it with an implant or bridge.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD