Dentistry/Wisdom Tooth + 4 additional extractions

Question
Hello,

I had 8 teeth pulled on the 31st of December. 1 was an impacted canine in my palate (they peeled back the palate to extract it--also having to grind on the bone), 2 premolars on the bottom, bicuspid on top, and all four wisdom teeth. Pain and swelling has gone down significantly, however, I'm still having discomfort in my jaw on the joint (right side), teeth surrounding premolar hole on bottom (also right side), but most of the pain is from the first top premolar to my second molar. This is also where they put dissolvable stitches. A small part of my palate is still somewhat swollen, but doesn't hurt--just numb. Is this normal?

Thank you for your help!

Answer
Kayla - it is not abnormal with all that was done for you to have some soreness.  If the pain is getting worse, the doctor should be called to evaluate the area.  There is also a possibility that you developed inflammation in an extraction socket on the lower jaw in the premolar area and the pain is radiating to the upper jaw.  This is a condition called a dry socket.  If you are developing a bad taste in you mouth or an increased bad breath this could indicate an inflammation.

My suggestion, besides calling the doctor  and have him examine you,since the pain is still evident 5 days after surgery, you should begin warm salt water rinses for about 1-2 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  The rinses should help to relieve inflammation in the area and reduce discomfort.  

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired