Dentistry/dark shadow on tooth

intra oral
intra oral  
3 weeks ago I  had a composite filling done on tooth #13 (universal numbers) upper left 2nd premolar. This is tooth 25 on FDI number system.

I have sensitivity on this tooth ever since. With a dental mirror I used the end handle to tap the tooth and there is a dull pain. There is also dull pain when eating and for 20 min afterwards. Pain is not sharp when I bite down and does not keep me up at night.  

I had 13 and 14 filled on the same day. 14 had old composite but 13 had an amalgam. When I look under the tooth there is a dark shadow on entire tooth. The shadow is not really visible from front but when looking underneath, the entire tooth is a very dark gray colour. Totally different from color of other teeth.

What is the reason for this and the pain? I am attaching pictures of the tooth BEFORE it was filled. (it is the one with the amalgam).

I am also attaching an intra-oral picture. Unfortunately it's not showing up well on my camera phone and that is the reason I am not uploading any AFTER pictures. Thank you.

My Dear Teri,

About the pain:  It is most likely that the bite on one or both of these teeth is slightly high (centric interference).  Going back to your dentist for an adjustment, then staying on a soft diet for a day or two, should relieve the pain within a week.  Often this corrects itself over several weeks.  A bite adjustment from your dentist is quicker and safer than waiting.

About the dark shadow:  Metal particles and/or corrosion from old amalgams often leach into the underlying dentin of the tooth, causing it to stain grey.  This can show through the tooth and cause a grey cast to appear on the outside of the tooth.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.