Dentistry/new permanent lower central incisor loose

Hey there,

My almost five year old daughter lost her first tooth though the replacement is loose.  Is this normal or should I take her to the dentist?

Many thanks,

Stephen -  if the area around the permanent tooth is loose or puffy, it could mean food trapped or bacteria is under the gum. Either reason or any other, your daughter should definitely be examined by a pediatric dentist.  It doesn't necessarily mean that the situation won't resolve on its own, but it is important for your daughter's pediatric dentist to evaluate her to intercept a possible problem.

I wish her well and hope the tooth tightens on its own, but have her checked out.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude