Dentistry/new permanent lower central incisor loose

Question
Hey there,

My almost five year old daughter lost her first tooth though the replacement is loose.  Is this normal or should I take her to the dentist?

Many thanks,

Stephen

Answer
Stephen -  if the area around the permanent tooth is loose or puffy, it could mean food trapped or bacteria is under the gum. Either reason or any other, your daughter should definitely be examined by a pediatric dentist.  It doesn't necessarily mean that the situation won't resolve on its own, but it is important for your daughter's pediatric dentist to evaluate her to intercept a possible problem.

I wish her well and hope the tooth tightens on its own, but have her checked out.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired