You are here:

Dentistry/Who is responsible in finding a Surgeon?


Hello and good = day/afternoon or evening
First of all sorry to bother you with a silly question and thank you for your time.

Question is
Is my dentist provider responsible for finding a Oral Surgeon (for Overbite surgery) or is that something that I'm responsible for since I'm the patient. I tried asking the receptionist and manager but they said that they didn't know. And every time i bring it up they avoid the question. I live in CA and have Medical.

Hi Omar,

I think the best answer is both your Dentist Provider and yourself.

Your provider, may be able to provide guidance or a name of the appropriate Oral Surgeon to see.  He/she may also be able to secure an appointment with a particular dentist who will only accept appointments by referral.

Now the other side of the coin, is that it is good for you to do your own research as well.  Recommendations from friends or family, who have had a positive experience (or negative) about a particular dentist is also helpful.  Feedback from actual Patients is invaluable.  Plus, sometimes Dentists have reciprocal business relationships with a few other dentists where they pass Patients back and forth by referral.  So in other words, they refer patients to another dentist colleague, in hopes that their colleague will send new patients back to them.  It's just one of the things they do to "build a practice."

So back to your question about finding a Oral Surgeon.  Use all your resources.  Yes, accept guidance and direction from your dentist.  Yes, get recommendations on your own, by talking to friends and family.  You can also use the internet, to research a dentist....but be careful....a lot of internet literature or reviews of dentists are actually advertisements.  

One thing I like to do on the internet is a general background search to see if the dentist I'm interested in has the proper credentials.  Is he board certified?  Where did he/she go to undergraduate school and dental school?

You also mention "Overbite Surgery."  That sounds real difficult and I'm sure there is only a handful of dentists that can do that.  Not all dentists are medical doctors or have that official "M.D." designation.  Going to Dental School versus going to Medical School is a totally different thing.  Just because they have that "Dr." before their name does not mean they have gone to medical school.  So, if it were me, and I was thinking of doing something major....I would probably prefer an oral surgeon who has also gone to medical school.

Good luck in your search for your Oral Surgeon!

Best regards,
Patient Point of View


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jonathan at PatientBabble


My area of expertise from the patients point of view would be Dentistry/TMJ plus the speech challenges that these jaw and bite problems sometimes represent. Over the years I have seen a multitude of dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, speech therapists, neurologists and other health professionals who all had an opinion about my TMJ/bite problem. I AM NOT A DOCTOR...but would purely be a patients point of view type person. I "get it" when people say they tried to explain to their dentist what their TMJ/bite problem is and that they are misunderstood. I can listen to people's trials and tribulations and there is a good chance I have been down that road before. I can make suggestions as to what people can do at home, or what questions to ask their doctor or dentist when they visit. I will try and recall information or experiences that may be helpful to you.


About 25 years ago, I had my wisdom teeth out and since then my bite has never felt "normal." For whatever reason, the first sensation I remember was not that my bite was off.....but rather that my normal tongue and speech patterns had been impeded. I spent years going to different dentists, who lumped me into their generic version of what they knew about TMJ. The majority of dentists believe they can treat TMJ, but only those whose primary focus is TMJ treatment, are really any good at it. Any dentist, can take an impression of your teeth, send that impression off to the lab and have them make a night guard. That is the easy part. The tricky part is what the dentist does with the night guard, once receiving it from the lab. The dentist has to do a "fitting" where they tailor the night guard to be evenly balanced and comfortable in your mouth. Sometimes it can take a few visits, because further adjustments need to be made to the night guard appliance, to get it just right. I have found that dentists, who have had the most practice, do a better job at fitting your appliance. It's almost like an art form.

Jonathan's Blog is:

College Graduate with Bachelor of Arts Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.