Dentistry/Who is responsible in finding a Surgeon?

Hello and good = day/afternoon or evening
First of all sorry to bother you with a silly question and thank you for your time.

Question is
Is my dentist provider responsible for finding a Oral Surgeon (for Overbite surgery) or is that something that I'm responsible for since I'm the patient. I tried asking the receptionist and manager but they said that they didn't know. And every time i bring it up they avoid the question. I live in CA and have Medical.

Hi Omar,

I think the best answer is both your Dentist Provider and yourself.

Your provider, may be able to provide guidance or a name of the appropriate Oral Surgeon to see.  He/she may also be able to secure an appointment with a particular dentist who will only accept appointments by referral.

Now the other side of the coin, is that it is good for you to do your own research as well.  Recommendations from friends or family, who have had a positive experience (or negative) about a particular dentist is also helpful.  Feedback from actual Patients is invaluable.  Plus, sometimes Dentists have reciprocal business relationships with a few other dentists where they pass Patients back and forth by referral.  So in other words, they refer patients to another dentist colleague, in hopes that their colleague will send new patients back to them.  It's just one of the things they do to "build a practice."

So back to your question about finding a Oral Surgeon.  Use all your resources.  Yes, accept guidance and direction from your dentist.  Yes, get recommendations on your own, by talking to friends and family.  You can also use the internet, to research a dentist....but be careful....a lot of internet literature or reviews of dentists are actually advertisements.  

One thing I like to do on the internet is a general background search to see if the dentist I'm interested in has the proper credentials.  Is he board certified?  Where did he/she go to undergraduate school and dental school?

You also mention "Overbite Surgery."  That sounds real difficult and I'm sure there is only a handful of dentists that can do that.  Not all dentists are medical doctors or have that official "M.D." designation.  Going to Dental School versus going to Medical School is a totally different thing.  Just because they have that "Dr." before their name does not mean they have gone to medical school.  So, if it were me, and I was thinking of doing something major....I would probably prefer an oral surgeon who has also gone to medical school.

Good luck in your search for your Oral Surgeon!

Best regards,
Patient Point of View

Jonathan at PatientBabble

My area of expertise from the patients point of view would be TMJ plus the speech challenges that these jaw and bite problems sometimes represent. Over the years I have seen a multitude of dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, speech therapists, neurologists and other health professionals who all had an opinion about my bite problem. I am not a doctor, but would purely be a patients point of view type person. I "get it" when people say they tried to explain to their dentist what their bite problem is and that they are misunderstood. I can listen to people's trials and tribulations and there is a good chance I have been down that road before. I can make suggestions as to what people can do at home, or what questions to ask their doctor or dentist when they visit. ////// I come from a family of dentists. My first house growing up was one of those residential/dentist combination homes and I was around the dental practice all the time. My teeth had always been perfect, and in many respects they still are. I have never had a cavity and my teeth are straight. About 25 years ago, I had my wisdom teeth out and since then my bite has never felt "normal." I have learned a lot over the years as I tried to figure out my problem from the Dentists, Speech Pathologists and assorted doctors that I have visited. I will try and recall information or experiences that may be helpful to you.

Twenty-Five years ago after my wisdom teeth were removed, my bite did not feel right and then had trouble speaking. For whatever reason, the first sensation I remember was not that my bite was off.....but rather that my normal tongue and speech patterns had been impeded. The years of searching for proper treatment has underscored the importance of understanding the relationship between dental and speech methodologies.///// To this end, and to further my research, I recently attended the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention (ASHA) in Atlanta. At ASHA I learned about a specialty within Speech Pathology termed “Orofacial Myology”. In laymen's terms Orofacial Myology Disorder (OMD) deals with the establishment of correct functional activities of the tongue, lips and jaw. OMD is a motor speech disorder that impacts the normal flow of speech, chewing or swallowing.///// If you believe that your struggles with your teeth also present speech, chewing or swallowing challenges, you may want to seek out a licensed Speech Language Pathologist.....preferably one that has training with Orofacial Myology Disorder.

Project Management Institute

Abridged Version of a Letter I Sent to a Health Care Professional (3/14/13): "..In my early 20's I had my wisdom teeth out. Almost immediately within a few days, something did not feel right in my mouth. I had trouble speaking. When I raised my tongue to try and touch my palate, I felt mostly just teeth. It is very cumbersome to talk and my bite also became a little bit off. If feels almost as if someone put a fork in my mouth and said "now try and speak." Very difficult. My articulation is fine, so to an observer I sound normal. But it takes a monumental effort, so I hate situations like talking on the phone or when somebody asks me to "tell them a story." ..I spent years going to different dentists, who lumped me into their generic version of what they knew about TMJ. They just automatically gravitate to what they have heard about TMJ and assume I am either stressed, or just imagining it. Years later, I look back at all those dentists and doctors and I am amazed at how little they really knew about my condition. I have seen the best dentists, including my dad who is a Orthodontist in New York, to TMJ Dentists in Atlanta and Florida. No one ever suggested that Speech Pathology may be a direction I should explore. ..And I was frustrated by the fact that several MRI's over the years, showed nothing. How could the MRI’s show nothing, and at the same time, I know something does not feel right? I do wear a night guard to sleep in, but it does not fix the trouble that I have when I try to talk. ..I went with a Speech Pathologist friend of mine to the American Speech Language Hearing (ASHA) Convention last October in Atlanta...There was a Speech Pathologist at ASHA who was saying that sometimes when you have your Wisdom Teeth taken out "late" that it could possibly cause damage to the Trigeminal Nerve and surrounding muscles.” POSTSCRIPT: At ASHA, I discovered OROFACIAL MYOLOGY (OMD) which is a specialty in Speech Pathology that addresses Oral Muscular Issues.

College Graduate with Bachelor of Arts Degree, Project Management Professional, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist