Dentistry/Who is responsible in finding a Surgeon?

Question
Hello and good = day/afternoon or evening
First of all sorry to bother you with a silly question and thank you for your time.

Question is
Is my dentist provider responsible for finding a Oral Surgeon (for Overbite surgery) or is that something that I'm responsible for since I'm the patient. I tried asking the receptionist and manager but they said that they didn't know. And every time i bring it up they avoid the question. I live in CA and have Medical.

Answer
Hi Omar,

I think the best answer is both your Dentist Provider and yourself.

Your provider, may be able to provide guidance or a name of the appropriate Oral Surgeon to see.  He/she may also be able to secure an appointment with a particular dentist who will only accept appointments by referral.

Now the other side of the coin, is that it is good for you to do your own research as well.  Recommendations from friends or family, who have had a positive experience (or negative) about a particular dentist is also helpful.  Feedback from actual Patients is invaluable.  Plus, sometimes Dentists have reciprocal business relationships with a few other dentists where they pass Patients back and forth by referral.  So in other words, they refer patients to another dentist colleague, in hopes that their colleague will send new patients back to them.  It's just one of the things they do to "build a practice."

So back to your question about finding a Oral Surgeon.  Use all your resources.  Yes, accept guidance and direction from your dentist.  Yes, get recommendations on your own, by talking to friends and family.  You can also use the internet, to research a dentist....but be careful....a lot of internet literature or reviews of dentists are actually advertisements.  

One thing I like to do on the internet is a general background search to see if the dentist I'm interested in has the proper credentials.  Is he board certified?  Where did he/she go to undergraduate school and dental school?

You also mention "Overbite Surgery."  That sounds real difficult and I'm sure there is only a handful of dentists that can do that.  Not all dentists are medical doctors or have that official "M.D." designation.  Going to Dental School versus going to Medical School is a totally different thing.  Just because they have that "Dr." before their name does not mean they have gone to medical school.  So, if it were me, and I was thinking of doing something major....I would probably prefer an oral surgeon who has also gone to medical school.

Good luck in your search for your Oral Surgeon!

Best regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble