Dentistry/root canal

I've had 2 fillings, a crown and a root canal done to #3 tooth since November 2015. It's been a week since they finished my root canal and I have been in excruciating pain. the dentist ordered me a steroid yesterday and it did help along with an ice pack but I'm still in pain. it's radiating to my lower right jaw? He is referring me to an endodontist because he doesn't know what else to do. I'm also experiencing cold sensitivity. I owe this dentist $2000 and if they have to pull it, I'm going to cry. I have never had a problem with my teeth ever!! Before the initial filling I had ZERO PAIN, I didn't even know there was a cavity but since the first filling I haven't been able to eat on the right side of my mouth since November..... Help!

Good morning Leslie,

I'm sorry to hear all this is going on. Has got to be VERY frustrating! It's hard for me to really diagnosis your problem without being able to exam you & see your x-rays. However, one thing you said has me a bit worried...that you are having cold sensitivity.

When a root canal is done, whether it is done well or poorly, there is NO way for that tooth to feel hot or cold. The nerve(pulp) of the tooth has been removed so there is no connection available from the outside of the tooth where the cold is to the nerve that runs along at the base of all your teeth. It just can't happen which means that your cold sensation is coming from another tooth. That does not mean ALL your problems are from another tooth, but certainly the cold sensation is.

I think your best overall option is to see the endodontist. Make sure to tell the office when you call you are in severe pain. Most endodontists have emergency time everyday for patients like you who are legitimate emergencies. He/she should be able to diagnosis the source of your pain and suggest appropriate treatment. I really believe it is highly unlikely you will loose that tooth....but you do want to become pain free ASAP!

I hope this helps. Hang in there...things WILL get better!

Best regards,

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.