Dentistry/Class 3 underbiite in a 5 year old

Question
My granddaughter was referred to an orthodontist following a checkup for her under bite.  According to the orthodontist, it was a class 3 and he is recommending some type of braces as well as surgery.  I did not go to the appointment with my son and daughter-in-law so I don't have the whole story.  They have a follow up appointment on Friday which I plan to attend.  The child does have an under bite but whether or not it is a class 3, I cannot say.

What is really bothering me about this is - the doctor's office is calling every few days wanting a decision about going forward with the process.  Another thing - since the child is only five, is correcting something like this at her age going to take care of the problem.  Most everything I have read shows this being done with 17-18 year olds.  What do you think?  I think we at least need to get a second opinion.

Answer
What you are referring, an "underbite", is also referred to as a Class 3 bite relationship. It occurs when the lower jaw, the mandible, grows excessively forward creating a prominent jaw and an abnormal bite. Depending on the degree of the problem it may be reduced by initiating early orthopedic treatment at age 5. This treatment involves the use of a chin cup headgear which can restrain lower jaw growth while the upper jaw "catches up".The chin cup appliance is usually worn at night and treatment lasts for several years while there is active jaw growth. In some more severe cases treatment may also require jaw surgery which is usually done in the late teen years after jaw growth is almost complete.

Dentistry

Dr. Randolph Myerson