Dentistry/Dental

Question
I have had a dark shadow on my front tooth which has been crowned for 17 yrs. I have had no pain since the shadow was discovered 5 yrs ago. I went to get a root canal consultation 2 yrs ago and was told to do a root canal but I can't see doing it if it's not bothering me. I would like your professional opinion based on what I've told you.
Thank you,
Shac

Answer
Good morning Shac,

If you have had a diagnosis of needing a root canal, I would certainly suggest that you have the procedure done. The reason is that an untreated root canal is like a time bomb....you never know when it could act up and become a full blown abscess. Murphy's Law says it would happened the night before you have a big event planned or before a much needed vacation. Becoming a dental emergency is not a pleasant way to spend your time.

I certainly understand your reluctance to get this done when it isn't bothering you, but in my experience, it is only a matter of time before it becomes a problem.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD