Dentistry/Antibiotics to avoid Root Canal?

Question
Greetings,
I saw a dentist today and had an old root canal trimmed off and dentist put on a temporary tooth on it and will be getting a crown in 2 weeks. The dentist prescribed me antibiotics and I asked why since I always had crowns done without them. She said that it was in part for the tooth that was treated today, but also because she noticed another inflamed/lightly infected tooth that might need a root canal and she wants to see if the inflammation goes down after taking the antibiotics.

I never felt pain in this tooth. Anyhow, since I will be leaving for Italy for a month in the next 3 weeks, I asked if I could avoid taking the antibiotics for now since I will be getting that root canal if really needed when I come back. Her answer was:

"oK, so take the antibiotic for 5 days for now, and then we'll take a look in 2 weeks when you come for your crown, and then if you need a root canal, take them again 5 days prior to the procedure."

I must confess I am not at all keen in taking antibiotics for teeth problems. I take antibiotics only for severe things as they cause me to get recurrent yeast infections that last for months. I feel tempted to just avoid taking them, at least for now until I come back from my trip. If I decide not to take them, what's the most that can happen? I have never heard of a tooth that can be cured with an antibiotic and no root canal is needed.Also, never took them before after a temporary tooth is put on. I feel it's mostly for liability purposes just in case, and I still can understand how they would prevent me a root canal. I would hate to take them and then still need the root canal.  What are your thoughts?
Thanks for your insight.

Answer
Dear Mary,
I understand your concerns.
Regretfully the questions you ask me are not in my area of expertise.
My specialty is Dentistry fro Children.
I suggest you continue to follow this up , but try to find someone with more experience in the area of general dentistry or endodontics.
All the best,
Doctor Moss

Dentistry

Stephen J. Moss