Dentistry/Replacing fixed bridge 6 teeth

Question
I have a front fixed bridge that needs replacing. The fixed bridge contains 6 teeth, 2 crowns connected to my eye teeth and the other 4 missing teeth all connected. The eye teeth had root canal done many years ago and the bridge held up well. My dental plan wants to pay for an alternative plan, replace the 2 eye teeth with crowns and the remaining 4 missing teeth put on a removal denture with wire clasp that will connect to my eye teeth, the eye teeth will have crowns and they had root canal treatment. My dentist and myself agree that this is the wrong way to proceed. Are we correct in this?

Answer
Dear Anthony,

Sadly, there is no "correct" here.  You know what you've had that has worked so well for many years.  The insurance company knows that it will pay less for 2 crowns and a removable partial than it will for a 6 tooth cemented bridge.  The insurance company does not care what is right and what is wrong for you.  It just cares about what will cost it less.  And in most dental policies, there is a lowest-cost-alternative clause which states to the effect that, if there is more than one alternative that will accomplish the same task, they will pay for the lowest cost choice.

Example:  We can fill teeth with silver or white fillings, or baked ceramic inlays.  Since the silver is the lowest cost alternative, most insurances will pay only for the silver filling.  No matter that this still contains mercury, a known human toxin.  You then pay the added cost if you want the non-toxic alternative.  The same applies here.  The cemented bridge feels, looks and works better than a removable partial.  Doesn't matter to insurance.  They can pay for the lower cost alternative, and leave you pay the difference.

You can contact your dental plan and work them over.  You can contact the owner of the plan, usually your employer, and let them know about this, and ask them to contact your dental plan in your behalf.  You can ask your dentist to speak to the plan's dental consultant.  The strategy would be that a removable partial is not the equivalent alternative to a cemented bridge in terms of appearance, function or durability.  But if your dental plan contract has this lower cost clause, there's usually not much anyone can do.

[It took me almost a half hour to answer your question.  How much time are you, your employer or your dentist willing to give to your cause?  Remember, we're all busy people for whom time is short. And usually time waiting on hold is long]

In the end, you should get the bridge and pay the difference.  Generally, insurances are not on the side of consumer, but rather on the side of their own pocketbook.  But this is a subject for another conversation.  Watch last Sunday's 60 Minutes segment about life insurance companies.  It will open your eyes and make you gag.  

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO