Dentistry/Replacing fixed bridge 6 teeth

Question
I need to have 6 teeth replaced on a fixed bridge 2 eye teeth and 4 missing teeth in between. Right now that's what I have, the 2 eye teeth have had root canal treatment many years ago. The bridge was holding up fine, my dentist wants to replace the bridge the same way but my dental plan states that there is an alternative way. They want to pay to replace the crowns on the eye teeth but the other 4 missing teeth they want to pay for a removal denture with wire wire clasp that would attach to the crowned eye teeth that already had root canal treatment. Is my dentist and myself right that says this is not the way to go.

Answer
Hi Tony and thanks for the question.

In dentistry, there are many ways to skin a cat and many treatment plans are acceptable for any given clinical situation - such as yours. The truth is that both proposed treatment plans are viable options. Its no secret that insurance companies would tend to opt for the less expensive of options, but they also tend to opt for the more predictable treatment outcome option. When it comes to bridges, there is a certain accepted rule that most clinicians tend to follow in order to improve the longevity of the prosthesis, which is: using as many teeth as anchors for the bridge as the number of teeth one if replacing with it. ie in your case it would be more ideal to use 4 teeth as anchors and not just the 2 canines as is presently being used. Also, bear in mind that any tooth which is root canal treated, is essentially a more compromised tooth than a vital, health tooth, which does affect the importance of enforcing this rule even more. I hope this clarifies things for you a bit more and wish you all the very best further. Take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)