Dentistry/Upper lip frenulum cut, what to do?

Question
Well, I got hit by a hard soccer ball on the face (right side), dropped to the ground, and when I got out of the game right that instant, I went to spit out a huge amount of blood. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact I have BRACES.
I'm OK from the outside, just a scratch next to my nose, but I noticed that inside the mouth my FRENULUM (the little bridge between the gums and the upper lip) didn't stop my tongue when I passed through it, anymore... So yeah, it's basically cut pretty much in the middle. It's still there, dangling, but it's not holding the lip as it did before...
I spat out all the blood, got a lot of water in my mouth and spat, and repeat until no more blood.
The cut on the side of my lip is OK, kinda hurts, but looks like it will heal.
I'm just worried that I need to go to the dentist or something for the frenulum. I checked the Internet, and from what I could fine (very little info), it says that it's suppose to heal itself in a week.

Should I take medicine? Should I gargle and spit something? Will my frenulum be Ok? Or am I screwed? I've put ice in there, and brushed my teeth as usual, it only bleeds a little when I put some cloth in the frenulum.
I'd appreciate any info! Thank you!

Side note:
I awoke up the next day, and when I saw in the mirror, the back of the lip kind of went down when I smiled, it's not too bad, but it is kind of disappointing, because it looks weird... I hope it's just inflated because of the injury, and not permanent :(

Answer
Hi Jillian,

Oh My God!!  What happened?  Im sure it must have hurt when you got smacked on the side of the face with the soccer ball!

The good news is I think you are going to live.  And you have already done what any panic stricken brace wearing person would do.....research on the internet.  Just remember, you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but you may still learn something anyway.

I definitely think you should go to your dentist and have it looked at.  In fact, I would try to go to your orthodontist, so he/she can look at your frenulum AND your braces.  Did your orthodontist give you some wax?  Sometimes they give you wax to help soften all those sharp edges of your braces.

Probably the most important thing is to make sure you do not get an infection.  If it were me, I would get a very SOFT toothbrush and GENTLY brush my teeth. You don't want to cause any more ripping or tearing of that frenulum.  Maybe even use Listerine, to try and make sure your mouth stays fresh as possible until you get to the Dentist.

As far as your drooping lip.....not sure what is going to happen.  I am hoping that as your mouth heals, that the trauma will disappear from your lip and it returns to its normal position.

And please try not to get hit in the face with anymore soccer balls!!

Best regards
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble