Dentistry/dental cleaning

Question
I am diabetic and take blood thinners.i am concerned when you have dental cleaning and when scraping your teeth to get tartar off teethand you bleed can you get infection from bleeding

Answer
Howard - The saliva in the mouth has bacteria in it.  For that reason a good idea after the cleaning, ask the dentist for a mouthwash to rinse with.  In addition, you should pick up a bottle of Listerine and rinse with a capful for 30 seconds twice a day, in the morning and night before bed, for two days.  The rinse will kill of bacteria to prevent any infection.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired