Dentistry/dental cleaning

I am diabetic and take blood thinners.i am concerned when you have dental cleaning and when scraping your teeth to get tartar off teethand you bleed can you get infection from bleeding

Howard - The saliva in the mouth has bacteria in it.  For that reason a good idea after the cleaning, ask the dentist for a mouthwash to rinse with.  In addition, you should pick up a bottle of Listerine and rinse with a capful for 30 seconds twice a day, in the morning and night before bed, for two days.  The rinse will kill of bacteria to prevent any infection.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude