Dentistry/implant crown gets loosen

Question
Dear Dr. Mosery,

I had implant done on #14 in Jan 2015 by an oral surgeon, and a crown was put on in Sep 2015 by my general dentist. During a recent visit, xray showed that the screw of the crown was loose, and my general dentist said I needed to have a new screw, and she will bill me for that.

My questions are 1) what are the possible reasons that the screw can get loose? 2) Should she be responsible for fixing it given it has only been 8 months? I have crowns on several of my teeth (none of them are implant crown except for #14) and it is the first time I heard that the screw can get loose. Should I ask her to fix it for free? 3) What are the risks to the implant if I put it off until next year? Is the implant going to fail?

Thank you in advance!

Wendy

Answer
Do not put it off. I won't comment on the way someone else chooses to charge patients . There are many technical reasons why a screw would come loose. Bite overload, initial torque tightening . Just get in and have it replaced or if possible tightened to proper torque. Leaving it would be a mistake it may break or damage the internal aspect of the implant .

Dentistry

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.