Dentistry/infection

Question
hi.i am diabetic aand prone to infections.when you get  dental  cleaning tartar off teeth will bleeding cause infectios from scaling.also is a shot of novacaine cause infectionsany other less riskkyshot.I take blood thinners

Answer
Dear Howard:
I completely understand your concerns,  and I get asked this question many times over.   If you are bleeding during a dental cleaning, you have gingivitis. Gingivitis is caused by having too much bacteria on your teeth. The only way to get rid of gingivitis is to remove the bacteria which is contained in the plaque and tartar off of your teeth. Only a professional dental cleaning followed by proper Home Care which includes brushing and flossing can do that. If you are a diabetic it is even more so important to brush and floss regularly several times a day and make sure that you have a professional dental cleaning at least every 3 months. If at that point your gums do not bleed, then you did your job properly. About getting an infection from the dental cleaning or the injection is the same as worrying about the car wash machine peeling off the paint off the car while your car is filthy with mud and bird droppings. It is far more important to remove the plaque and tartar because the chances of getting gingivitis and infections is much greater  when your plaque and tartar are out of control.
Talk to your dentist and hygienist about getting proper care in the office and about your brushing and flossing technique at home to get your mouth and to optimal dental health.
Best wishes,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.