Dentistry/Old Crown & Root Canal problem

Question
Had a root canal with gold crown years ago. The area under the crown has turned black. I am experiencing some pain in that tooth, and I am a diabetic. Should I be worried?

Answer
Good morning Laura,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with this tooth after all this time. Being a diabetic should not really affect your health or the tooth's situation. However, pain is the bodies way of telling you something is wrong. It could be issues with the old root canal, gum problems around the tooth or decay. In any event, I think you should get in to your dentist, get a good diagnosis of what is going on so you can have the info you need to make a decision about what to do. You certainly don't want things to get worse because acute infections can be a problem with diabetes.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD