Dentistry/phantom pain?

Question
Hello, Dr. Dalin

I am an 80+ male in good health.
Over the last year or so, I experience a "sensation" in the gum of the right-most upper tooth. This sensation appears "now and then", then disappears and comes again a day or more later.
This has been going on for more than 6 months.

I describe it as a sensation; it is not a pain. A pain would have sent me to the dentist. To give you a better picture, it is akin to putting your finger on your forehead...you know something is there, but you're not concerned.

I experience the same sensation in the gum of the left-most upper tooth, but less often.

Finally, when I massage the area with my finger, the sensation is eliminated for a time.

Can you advise me?

A second question...my dentist has prescribed
chlorhexidine gluconate 0.12%. But I don't use it because I'm concerned about cancer.
What do you think?

Thanks

Chris

Answer
i would have your dentist get an xray and see what is going on in there. it could be nothing or it could end up being a gum/bone issue or cavity. an xray and exam is the only way to find out if something is going on in there. as far as chlorhexidine goes, i have never seen any connection to any sort of cancer so you should be fine there as well. it has been used for a large number of years so there is a lot of data out there to support its safety. if you are nervous, maybe don't use it daily...maybe go 2-3 times a week. see if this all helps out with your questions. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Dentistry

Jeff Dalin DDS