Dentistry/Should I get An Apicoectomy or Root Canal Retreatment?

Question
tooth #8
tooth #8  

smile
smile  
I have had a root canal done & a had a pfm crown on tooth #8 back in 2007. Recently I went for a check up and they found a gum infection right over that tooth. The dentist sounded like she could not make up her mine on which one to go with. She said apicoectomy would be cheaper but root canal would probably be better but she said apicoectomy last time. So Idk which one to go with. I'm afraid i wont like my new crown if I go with root canal 7 will cost me more money. I'm also worried that the apicoectomy will leave a nasty scar and cause future discomfort.

Answer
Dear Nick:
Sorry for the delay.  I would definitely consult with an endodontist!  Looks as if the root canal can be done tighter.  Goto www.aae.org and look up a root canal specialist in your area.  Go in for a consult.  An apicoectomy is a predictable and excellent procedure that should be done by a well trained endodontist.  however, before that, the root canal treatment has to be perfect.
Please go and see the proper specialist.  This is not a job for your general dentist, with all due respect.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.