Dentistry/Apicoectomy whole root removal

Question
Had a whole tooth root removed because oral surgeon said I had an infection. The root was in a crowned tooth connected to a fixed bridge.  procedure performed removed whole root and bone, it left an indentation in my gum and 3 months later I still feel aching in the area, how long does healing take. New x-rays by my family dentist shows no infection

Answer
Anthony,
Thanks you for your question. As I state,with all patient inquires, without a full clinical and radiological exam an exact diagnosis and treatment plan can not be formulated.
Your question leaves me somewhat puzzled on the exact status of the crowned tooth and a root that was removed. Yet you refer to an apicoectomy.
As a point of explanation, apicoectomy means minimally bevel the end of a root canal treated tooth to place a retro seal filling material into the exiting orifice of a root canal. This hermetic seal promotes bone and periodontal tissue healing  of the remaining root. Thus a root canal treatment needs to be performed through the tooth to eliminate the diseased and bacterial components in the root canal system. The canals have to be biomechanically instrumented and filled before an apicoectomy is performed.
On a rare occasion, a totally calcified root where a root canal can't be instrumented and filled with a tradional root canal filling,l may require an apicoectomy with a retrograde seal to promote healing.
A total removal of a root is called a root amputation. On an upper molar tooth that has a crown, root canal treatment must be performed on all the roots and sealed before a root is removed. This is essential because there is a blood and nerve supply that communicates and connects,all the root canals together. Thus it may be in your case that no root canal on the remaining roots and interconnecting blood and nerve supply has been treated with a root canal. If it is not treated the remaining roots will cause pain and infection. In your tooth a root was removed, was the connecting roots  treated with a root canal? In your case if there is still pain and lack of healing this could be the cause.
However, if your tooth has had a root canal and one of the roots was amputated due to decay or periodontal issues, then you may be in a position where the previous bone damage from the periodontal or inflamed bone due to an infected root canal may not be healing. It's also possible that your bone defect may heal with a greater amount of time. First scar tissue then bone fills in. This can take 6 months to 2 years. However, it's important that the cause of this pain and lack of healing be diagnosed.
Unfortunately with the history you have given me,pI can not narrow the issues.
My suggestion is to go an Endodontic specialist( root canal), possibly a periodontist( gum specialist) to evaluate your situation. If there is no one locally, I would suggest seeking out these specialist who teach in a dental school.T0his way you can get an accurate assessment of your particular situation.

I am sorry with your somewhat imprecise history I can't advise you in a more specific way. Good luck with your care.

Dentistry

robert block