My Tooth
My Tooth  
Should I get an Apicoectomy? Is there a nasty scar left behind? I want go get this procedure done as an alternative to a root canal. Reason being for not wanting a root canal is because the dentist is required to remove my crown. It took 4 different visits and couple months to get a color shade closet to the rest of my teeth. I don't want to go through that hassle again, & fearing I would have to settle on a crown I don't like that I'm stuck with. I have cheap dental insurance (denti-cal). Any advice on what I should do. I'm tired of dealing with this tooth. It is my front tooth by they way , tooth #8 I believe.

Dear Nicholas
If your tooth had not been previously treated with root canal treatment prior to placement of crown, you will have to get an rct done even if an apicoectomy is attempted.
Now since you have not mentioned anything about all this,i am presuming an rct had not been done. If required an rct can be done through the crown with out removing it.
Check with your doctor if he /she can do it.
There is no scarring after an apicoectomy....
Hope i have answered your question.
If you have any further queries please post an x-ray also.
Best wishes

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)