Two weeks ago I got a crown on my #30 tooth after getting a root canal.  I did not chew food on my crown until three days ago and since then I have been in pain.  It is a deep gnawing pain. All I ate was a turkey burger and a slice of cake.  I had no issues until I chewed food on my crown.

History:. My tooth was cracked, I got a root canal and a crown.
Any suggestions why I am having pain?

Thank you,

ANSWER: HI Lynnsie,

Before I try to help, I'd like you to do something....with no food in your mouth, "clack" your teeth together with a fair amount of force. Then hold your teeth together and slide from side to side. Does any of those movements make your tooth hurt?

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

QUESTION: Hello Dr. Back links,

I followed your instructions and the pain was worse when I clacked my teeth and moved them side to side.

Hi again Lynnsie,

Since your tooth hurt when you did both those things, my best guess is that your bite needs adjusting. Most likely the new crown is a bit high and over time, that irritates the ligaments that hold the tooth in and cause pain when you bite and aching even when your teeth aren't touching.

Monday, you should call your dentist and have him/her check your bite. In the meantime, you might try Naprosyn (Aleve)to help with the soreness as long as you don't have any allergies to non-steroidal anti-inflammatories.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.