Dentistry/Pain with my retreat mentioned of root canal

Four days ago I had a retreat done on tooth 30. The day after was not so bad but day two was really bad, so I took the vicodin that the endo prescribed only I had a bad reaction and spent the day throwing up. So the next day I only took ibuprofen and the pain is starting to go down but the spot behind the tooth(which is empty no teeth past 30 left) is really   swelling up big. At this point it is sticking up past the tooth. I was also given antibiotics which I have been taking. Is this at all normal my endo is out of the office for a few days and I'm worried. Or did something get messed up because of the throwing up?

Good Morning Jennifer,
As I state with all questions, without a thorough clinical and radiographic exam, a precise diagnosis and treatment recommendation is nearly impossible.
I hope  your feeling better,after your reaction to the vicodin. Many narcotics can cause nausea and regurgitation if they are taken without food.Fortunately, It sounds like you did not have a true allergic reaction, since you did not have difficulty breathing, hives etc. However you did have an intolerance to the narcotic. This is actually quite common.Regurgitation did not harm your tooth.I would recommend calling your physician and perhaps obtaining a prescription to relieve your GI reaction to the medication.
As far,as the root canal is concerned, retreatments have a little higher incidence of swelling and discomfort. It sounds like the reason your root canal had to be redone is that it had recurrent inflammation and possible infection in the bone surrounding the roots. Usually conventional non surgical retreatment will resolve this. In your situation you have developed swelling from the reaction of the bacteria in the bone around your roots.This swelling is the bodies way of trying to drain out or get rid of the inflammatory exudate from the bacteria. If you press on the swollen gum area you might even
be able to see a pimple be present that is draining pus. This is called a fistula. It is  the bodies way of creating a path to drain pus and relieve the swelling and pressure. You should be rinsing with warm salt water for 5  minutes several tines a day to help localize and rinse out this drainage. I like to prescribe peridex, a anti microbial mouth rinse that is used in periodontal treatment.
This contains anti bacterial agents that help
remove the  noxious material and fluid. You should absolutely finish your antibiotics and have food on your stomach before taking the medication. I would follow up with the endodontist immediately and have the situation
checked.Sometimes, if the infection persists a,surgical procedure  will be necessary to clean out the damaged and inflammed area around the end of the roots. This is called an apicoectomy and periapical currettage.This procedure would remove all the infection in
the bone around your roots.This would help
your body heal and relieve your symptoms.
Good luck with your follow up and treatment.  

robert block

I would prefer to answer questions related in my specialty of Endodontics( ROOT CANAL THERAPY) I am a Board Certified Endodontist with a special interest in advanced surgical endodontic procedures. I know root canals create a lot of apprehension in patients, and they usually have many questions about the procedure. I can address patient concerns either before or after their root canal treatment. I also have re-treated numerous patients who have had previous endodontic treatment. As a result of these clinical failures,and the increase in the use of dental implants, its important patients understand the alternatives of therapy. There are often many components to treatment that interrelate the disciplines of endodontics, periodontics and restorative dentistry.Patients frequently question the importance of considering all facets in a clinical regimen. Hopefully, I would be able to educate and contribute some information from the endodontic perspective.

Diplomate American Board of Endodontics, 35 years plus private practice experience. Formerly Professor and Chairman, Department of Endodontics at US dental school. Editorial journal reviewer for the endodontic section of The Journal of American Dental Association. Serve as a reviewer on several editorial boards.

American Association of Endodontists, College of Diplomates, American Board of Endodontics

Over 150 publications, abstracts, case reports, chapters in textbooks. J. Dental Research, J. of Endodontics, J. of Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology,The NEXTDDS J.For example: The Single File Approach for Predictable Endodontic Canal Instrumentation:The Wave One, THE NEXTDDS J. 4-2:13-17 Fall 2014 Non Surgical Management of an Endodontic Failure Utilizing Contemporary Technology, www.THENEXTDDS 5-1:60-63 Spring 2015 Are You Still Using Formocresol? An Update, Tn. Dent. J. 89-4:14-19 Fall 2009 Management of Endodontic Failures, Oral Surg.vol.66:711-Dec.1988

BA. DePauw University, DDS. University of Michigan, MS. Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Gen. Practice Resident, University of Connecticut, Endodontic Resident Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University

Numerous Awards and Honors, Edward P. Hatton Award( Int. Assoc. of Dental Research), Endodontic Memorial Research Award ( American Association of Endodontics) Outstanding Endodontic Department Teaching Award (given by dental students)Fellow American Academy of Dental Science