Dentistry/root canal

Question
Hello,
I was just told by my dentist that I need a root canal (+post+crown) on my top front tooth(9?) she took an xray that showed abscess away from the tooth high up on the roof of my mouth. She said that maybe it was b/c of a filling I had 5+ yrs ago which "slowly leaked out." I've been to other dentists and they never mentioned anything. My only symptoms are a little sensitivity and ever since the filling my gums, exactly where the anesthesia was injected, feels a sore when I touch it sometimes & the surface feels harder. I always assumed that the pain from the needle wouldn't completely go away but always wondered if he hit something b/c the injection was far more painful than others I've gotten (felt more like drilling). Also, that tooth overlaps w/ the one next to it, is it possible that there is a hidden cavity there?
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you!

Answer
Good day Liz,
Thank you for your question.As I always state, unless I could perform a complete clinical and radiological exam, it is really impossible to know the exact diagnosis and treatment.
However, based on your history it would seem everything you recite is not that unusual.
Your dentist has observed on the radiograph
bone damage, therefore a "dark" area that indicates pathology. This damage appears to have been caused by previous decay and a deep filling on your tooth close to the gums. When trauma to a tooth occurs from decay or fillings the pulp tissue that contains the nerves and blood vessels in your tooth become inflammed and damaged. This is when sensitivity begins and eventually the tooth dies. When this results, the body attempts to wall off this inflammed damage. This results in an inflammatory response in the bone around the tooth. This is what your dentist noted on the xray and is the hard knot of inflammed tissue and fluid you feel in the roof of your mouth. When this is injected with anesthetic it is painful because the soft tissue covering your palate is already inflammed. Your dentist didn't want to cause you pain during the treatment. Therefore, this is why it was done.Even though this damaged area appears hard, once the root canal is treated and the damaged tissue is removed inside the tooth, this inflammed knot should heal. Depending on the size and amount of bone damage, total bone regeneration will occur in 6 months to 2 years.In some instances the knot might have to be surgically drained (lanced) during treatment.If healing does not occur a surgical procedure can be performed to remove any of the remaining damaged inflammed tissue.This is usually not necessary, but can be performed to save the tooth.
Hopefully, I have addressed all your concerns. It sounds like your dentist is following good protocol in your treatment. Good luck with your follow up and hope everything works out well for you.
I wanted to add that as far as your overlapping tooth being a problem, a thorough clinical exam which includes endodontic tests and a periodontal evaluation should be performed. In this way,it could be determined if additional issues are present.

Dentistry

robert block