Dentistry/Strange Feeling After Mental Block

Hello I recently went in to get my teeth cleaned and the dentist had to use anesthetic injections in my upper and lower gums because of my sensitive teeth. It has been 5 days since and I feel a weird sensation on my bottom inner lip (slight left side) when I run my bottom teeth or tounge on the inner lip. It feels almost like a torn ligament or bump but there is nothing visible on the inner or outer lip. I do not feel it on the right side when i do the same. Could they have hit a muscle or nerve the wrong way even though they injected the bottom gum and not the lip? I have heard when they inject a nerve it becomes very painful and I do not feel much pain just a strange discomfort. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Dear AJ:
Sorry to hear of your troubles.  It is very difficult to try and give you advice without actually examining you.  However, altered sensations are common enough and could be attributed to the procedure itself, or the administration of the anesthetic.  Generally, the sensation is transient and goes away within a couple of weeks.
The best is to call your dentist and inform him of what happened.  The dentist might want to have you come in and examine the area.  In addition, he might want to plot the area of the altered sensation and follow up over time to see the progress of the improvement.
Please do not delay and call your dentist today..
Best wishes and good luck,

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.