Dentistry/Strange problem with severe pain

Question

I have had a strange dental problem with teeth numbers 5, 6, and 18 for about the last 5 years. These teeth are causing severe and at time blinding pain with changes in air pressure. All teeth have had root canals that were delayed for a varity of reasons and when the root canals were performed, the roots were necrotic/half dried out. The pain in teeth 5 and 6 were initially diagnosed as trigeminal neuralgia, however I have none of the symptoms of trigeminal, other than the pain being in the general area of the trigeminal nerve. This pain, (5 and 6) would spread in a line, #5 going up my face, through the eye socket and into the scalp. #6 would go from the tooth along my cheek and into the back of my head. I finally convinced my dentist to extract #6 and that line of pain stopped after the extraction. #18 doesn't bother me that badly, it seems to just go down into my jawbone and not spread out.

I have seen several dentist as well as a neurologist who have not been able to figure out what is going on.

Do you have any suggestions to what I should look at next? I really would like to avoid having #5 pulled, but the pain is getting to be too much.

Thank you for your time

Bill

Answer
Teeth Numbers
Teeth Numbers  
Hi Bill,

I am sorry you have been having so much trouble with your teeth.

How did you know specifically which teeth numbers are hurting you?  Most patients don't know that sort of thing.  And you specifically knew the path of pain from each tooth, to somewhere else in your head.  I also had to google a numbers teeth photo (see attached), as a reminder of which teeth you are referring to.

Having possible nerve damage in your mouth is sort of like trying to figure out where the electrical problem is in your car. Very tricky and even excellent doctors or dentists can have differing opinions on what it is.

See if you can find a dentist who is also a Board Certified MD.....It should be noted, that most dentists have the word "Doctor" in front of their name, but that does not necessarily mean they have the "MD" designation.  You mentioned that your root canals were delayed for a variety of reasons....what were those reasons?  Depending on the problem, it is usually a good idea to address those issues expediently.

Well anyway, like I said, see if you can find a dentist or Board Certified Oral Facial Maxillary Surgeon with an MD.  Of course there are many good dentists out there without the MD designation....but in your case, we are also talking about possible nerve damage.

Next, you have already done the right thing by visiting a neurologist.  I would get a second opinion from a Neurologist.  If the Doctor decides he wants you to get an MRI, ask him specific questions about that.  Not all MRI's of the head are the same.

Other than that, I would proceed in a very conservative manner. Tinkering with your bodies nerves or "electrical system" is a complicated endeavor and positive results are difficult to achieve.  Maybe get that neurology second opinion before pulling tooth #5.

Let me know what happens.  I am curious to know what you are going to learn going forward.

Best regards,
Jonathan
Twitter:  @JonPatientPOV  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble