Dentistry/Tooth extracton pain in jaw 14 days later

Question
Had tooth 30 extracted 14 days ago it was a ten year old root canal that had infection in it. Since removed has had dull pain until i sang at an event on day 10 then it started hurting badly been to er and two different dentist all did x-rays andthey all said everything looks good and no infection. It hurts down in jaw where root of tooth was. Dentist put me on pain med yesterday when i take med and dont talk i stop hurting. If its not better by next week im going to specialist. Do you have any idea whats going on? Thanks in advance for advice

Answer
Rachel  -  it is a little difficult to be sure what is going on, but two main potential causes are an inflammation of the bone along where the root was or there is a minor infection.  I cannot tell you exactly what is occurring, but I suggest that you make an appointment with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon at the University of Alabama at Birminghsm School of Dentistry.

When you call (205)934-5334 ask to be evaluated not by a dental student but a doctor who teaches in the department of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Dr. Peter Waite is the chairman of the department and Dr. Patrick Louis is the program director.  Both of these doctors are very experienced and I suggest that you ask to be evaluated by either one.

I hope they can discover the cause.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired