Dentistry/Whole root removed in a crowned tooth

Question
3 months ago I had a whole root removed by an oral surgeon because he said i had an infection from a failed root canal that was done many years ago. The tooth had a crown and was part of a fixed bridge. Family dentist took new x-rays and said he does not know why area where indentation of gum and bone removal is still aching, he saw no infection. Could healing still be taking place?

Answer
Good question Anthony.  Three months is a long time for an extraction site to still be aching.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you why the aching remains.

Healing could still be taking place, but this would be very unusual.  I must assume that the aching you feel now is much less than the pain you were feeling just before and just after the root was removed.

Several possibilities pop into my head.  The end of the root may have been near a nerve trunk that runs through your jaw, and the infection, the removal and the healing thereafter caused more damage to this nerve trunk than was suspected at the time, and the nerve trunk is taking a longer time to heal.  Or there is something that remains under the gum (infection, root fragment, bone fragment) that is causing the bone to ache.  Or you are having phantom pain.

I wish I could be more diagnostic, but I can't see or feel the area to be more specific.

I'm sure that whatever it is will slowly go away.  If another 3 months passes and this doesn't feel much better, or if it gets worse, contact your oral surgeon.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO