Dentistry/Mandible Bone Graft

Dr. Tieg, I was told I need a lilac crest hip graft, because of a lot of bone loss on mandible. Could you tell me after the bone is taken out of my hip, and the surgeons starts the mandible graft, how is this possible with the breathing tube still in place while in surgery? Wouldn't it get in the way, and will I be sitting up , when this last stage is done? Thanks

JoAnn - With the surgery planned for you, the tube placed is called an endotracheal tube.  This tube can be placed through your mouth or through your nose.  I don't know what the anesthesiologist has planned but a naso-endotracheal tube provides oxygen to your lungs and at the same time it provides an unobstructed access for the surgeon to your mouth to place the bone graft.  

So having performed such a procedure, I can tell you that the naso-endotracheal tube is best for you and the surgeon.  It will provide the oxygen you need and the access to the mandible that the surgeon needs.  

As far as sitting up, the tube will not be removed until you waken and it is guided out of your trachea.

you need to speak with the anesthesiologist and your surgeon to make sure they explain both the surgery and the anesthesia technique.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude