Dentistry/mandibular tori

I have exposed bone from a tori which is collecting tarter, so it has rough edges on the inside of my lower mandible near my molar.  I called an oral surgeon's office to schedule removal, but can't get in for 3 months.  I am concerned about infection in the bone.  Is this considered an urgent matter, or will I be scheduled as a routine procedure?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Beverly - The necessity to remove that tori now is based on the extent of inflammation or infection present.  If you look in your mouth at the tori, see if there is a redness around the tori.  If there is, then inflammation has, at least developed, and possibly an early infection.  If you were a patient of mine, I would arrange for surgery soon, so infection does not develop.

My suggestion, until you see the doctor is to begin warm salt water rinses.  Rinse with the warm salt water for 2-3 minutes, 3-4 times a day.  The warm salt water rinses will reduce the inflammation and hopefully prevent an infection.

So you can wait if you do the rinses and prevent an infection, but if it can be done sooner it would be better.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude