Dentistry/pain that comes and goes

Question
Hello, Dr.Finnk

I am an 80+ year old white male, in good health.
In recent months, I'm experiencing "uncomfortable" sensations in my upper gum, near the left end of the row of teeth, and in the right end of the row of teeth.
I use the word " uncomfortable" deliberately, because it is just that and not pain. I realize that two people will have different thresholds as to what constitutes "pain", but I don't consider my issue to be pain.
What intrigues me is the fact that these sensations come and go,i.e., some days they last all day, but not continuously, sometimes they appear briefly, disappear, then come back, and so forth.
Other days, as in recent days, there is no hint at all of any discomfort.
What does all this mean? I'm of the opinion that what I'm experiencing is loss of bone and/or muscle material,in other words, these are symptoms of aging.
Should I be concerned?

Your opinion please.

Thanks,

Chris

Answer
Dear Chris,

These could be symptoms of aging, just like the random aches and pains I get throughout the day (I'm approaching 70).

However, it may also be true that one of more of your teeth are becoming infected, as some tooth infections present in the ways you describe.  You could wait and see, but waiting might mean more bone loss in your jaws due to the growth of infection, which can be painless.  And if infection, it can spread to other parts of your body through the blood and lymphatic systems.

I advise that you see your dentist and tell him/her about this.  Let your professional provide an evaluation.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO