Dentistry/Strange tooth/head issue for a month.

Dear Dr. Dalin,

Thank you for offering this wonderful service. I was wondering if you could please help me regarding a strange issue I have been experiencing for the last four weeks. I am a 32 year old male in excellent health.

I have noticed, for the last four weeks, that I experience what feels like a 'deep', but mild, pain on the right side of my forehead and seemingly also on the top of my head, whenever I brush against one of my front teeth, either with my tongue, finger, or even when brushing my teeth. It only occurs on one particular tooth. The pain is mild, and does not linger, but I only experience it with this one particular tooth. The tooth is not sensitive to pressure, heat, or touch. I have seen a dentist for a full evaluation and after conducting several tests he has confirmed, to his satisfaction, that there is nothing at all wrong with the tooth itself. The tooth structure, and root, is healthy.

I have been to two physicians about this and they both believe it is an issue with either a muscle or nerve, or is dental-related, but cannot explain it. Both have said it should settle with time, and that it is likely caused by the stress I am under with my new job. The job is very stressful, but how could stress cause one tooth to cause head pain when brushed against? I do not have any 'red flags', and the pain itself is mild and more annoying than painful. The fact it has persisted for a month now, though, is making me wonder what the cause is and if it will go away in time. They are certain it is not trigeminal neuralgia as the pain is very mild. I am pain-free if I do not brush against my tooth. The tooth itself does not hurt at all.

I realise you cannot diagnose me without seeing me in person, but what could be some potential dental-related causes for this annoying issue? How could stress cause one particular tooth to send pain in my head for a month?

Many thanks for any help!

i definitely would need to see you in person to make any kind of definitive diagnosis. but because we are trying this online, let me give you a possible new idea to investigate. you mentioned your dentist checked out the tooth and said all is fine. that means that there was no decay evident, the gums and bone level are all fine, and there does not seem to be any nerve issues. did he/she check the occlusion or the way the teeth hit each other. i wonder if you are hitting hard on that one tooth...harder than the other teeth. sometimes a heavy bite can cause a tooth to be sore. have that checked out. and see if you need a mouthguard made to possibly protect things from a clenching/grinding problem. this would be the first thing i look into. see if this helps   good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Jeff Dalin DDS

general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children

Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.