Dentistry/Bumps on roof of mouth

Tiny bumps
Tiny bumps  
QUESTION: Good day Dr,

I have these tiny painless bumps on the rough of my mouth toward the back by my uvula. What are these and what causes them? Thanks for your time

ANSWER: Scot - Of course I cannot be sure, without directly examining you, but from your description and the picture you provided, the bumps appear to be salivary glands.

QUESTION: Sir, what causes these? How can I get rid of them?

Scot -  They appear to be normal glandular tissue.  If they are glands, they assist an east swallow of food.  The only way to remove and not disable your swallowing might be laser surgery.  Any other treatment might produce scaring of tissue.  So you  need to speak with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or an ENT doctor, if you really want to remove them.  Just be aware, the doctors will try to convince you not to remove them.

I wish you well.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude