Dentistry/Enamel erosion on both sides of teeth

Question
Hello Doctor, I am experiencing erosion of my enamel. I have sensitivity throughout the day and have already been examined by a dentist. He recommended I try enamel protecting toothpaste before we take more drastic measures like bonding with the composite resin. I still feel pain/sensitivity so will probably be going back to ask for the resin composite bonding. The only thing is he had mentioned that the back side of the teeth cannot be bonded with this resin because he has no way to put it back there. However I do remember having fillings in the backside of my teeth. Why is it that he cannot put resin back there? I ask because I feel sensitivity in the backside as well as the front and the dentin is also very much exposed in the back side of my teeth. What can be done about the backside if he only puts the resin on the front side of my teeth? Will the back side still be sensitive even after he bonds the front side? Thanks for your advice Doctor I am very confused about all of this.

Answer
Dear Arnold:
sorry for the delay in getting to your question. I understand your confusion. Yes, you are right, you can get fillings on the back of the teeth but what your dentist is referring to is bonding at the gum level so that the teeth are not that sensitive. That is a very weak Bond of the composite resin and is very difficult to do. It is essentially impossible to do that when you get to the back of mouth. there is too much saliva and moisture which does not allow the proper bonding of the composite resin.
You  should also have a dentist, or an orthodontist take a look at your tooth alignment. Sometimes when teeth are not aligned properly, people grind and create terrible sensitivity. Using Orthodontics such as Invisalign might be the easiest way to bring your teeth into proper bite and to reduce the sensitivity.
I'm sorry, but this is all that I can give you without any other information.
Best of luck,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.