Dentistry/Floss Tools

I brush and floss my mother's teeth since her stroke and she is becoming paranoid and prone to outbursts and using normal floss picks she always bites down and doesn't let go making it difficult and usually results in bloody gums. I think I saw another floss tool that resembled a toilet brush but tiny that is just poked inbetween the teeth instead of pressed down from above. What are those called and can you recommend them?

This is not my area of expertise.
The only thing I can tell you about your difficult task is dont worry too much if you only clean the teeth 3 or 4 times a week.
Flossing helps but it is not an imperative.
Many times when faced with a problem similar to yours of having someone bite down, I have solved it by making a wad of 2X@ gauzes and wrapping them with adhesive tape. When place on the side of the mouth opposite the one I am working it serves nicely to keep the mouth open and it gives the patient an opportunity to rest their teeth while protecting my fingers.
As to the floss device you choose, I have absolutely no idea what they are called.  
My suggestion is use the one that looks easiest for you to use.

Hope this helps a little,
all the best,

Dr. Moss

Stephen J. Moss

I am a professor emeritus at New York University, with a background that includes extensive research, scientific writing and biology. I also am an international consultant in health education, particularly in developing education on new science for health professionals and consumers. I am a past president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, former head of the NYU Division of Oral Biology and I represent the World Dental Federation at the United Nations. I travel around the world to provide health education to professionals and consumers.

Having retired from New York Universit, where I directed the pediatric dentistry training program, a walk-in dental clinic and research on oral biology, I formalized my professional and consumer health education initiative in the form of Health Education Enterprises. This entity consults and provides information on new science pertaining to oral and general health, particularly leading edge concepts that can be employed in the health professions to improve the public's health. As such, I am an expert in communicating new science and its usefulness to professional and lay audiences alike. I also had a pediatric dentistry practice in New York City for nearly 30 years.

I am affiliated with the American Dental Association, the World Dental Federation, the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry among other formal organizations. My experience has included a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and work at the Forsythe Dental Research Center

lpha Omegan USA, Nowa Stomatologia Poland, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, The Journal of the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry USA, News Bulletin Japan, Journal of Marmara University Dental Faculty Turkey, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry Italy, Asian Dentist Singapore, The Journal of the Israel Dental Association Israel, ROBRAC Brazil, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Italy, FDI World, STOMA Portugal, Pediatric Dentistry The Philippines, Modern Stomatology Bulgaria, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry India

I obtained a doctor of dental science (DDS) degree, a master of science degree and am a board certified pediatric dentist.