Dentistry/pins during crown placement

In September 2015 I had a crown placed on tooth number 19. At that time i was charged for pins in be placed also. No root canal was done at that time.  After nine months of discomfort my dentist advised i needed a root canal on that tooth. A different dentist did a root canal and once again i was charged for pins. If pins were placed in September of 2015 would it be necessary to place pins again in July 2016.

Thank you for your question. As I state with all questions, without a thorough clinical and radiographic examination it is impossible to precisely recommend a diagnosis and treatment plan.
However, your question is not unique or unreasonable. When a root canal is performed,the inside of the crown and roots are treated. Inside the crown is the pulp chamber, This forms the support and basis for a core build up of restorative material to be used to support and allow for a permanent crown to be placed.
When pulp chamber and root access is accomplished with root canal therapy, any remaining
previous restorative matetial is usually removed. When someone needed pins originally to hold the restoration in place, this means there had been a significant loss of original coronal tooth structure. Thus it is completely reasonable and appropriate to remove all previous pins. and previous  restorative material after the root canal is completed.
This is done to check for any cracks, fissures, defects or decay before building the tooth back up with pins and core material.This insures that the occlusal (coronal seal) is solid before placement of a permanent crown. Leakage of a previous restoration ( with pins and core material) can compromise the long term prognosis and healing of your tooth.
I hope this adequately explains the accepted logic of current treatment protocols. Good luck with your future dental care.

robert block

I would prefer to answer questions related in my specialty of Endodontics( ROOT CANAL THERAPY) I am a Board Certified Endodontist with a special interest in advanced surgical endodontic procedures. I know root canals create a lot of apprehension in patients, and they usually have many questions about the procedure. I can address patient concerns either before or after their root canal treatment. I also have re-treated numerous patients who have had previous endodontic treatment. As a result of these clinical failures,and the increase in the use of dental implants, its important patients understand the alternatives of therapy. There are often many components to treatment that interrelate the disciplines of endodontics, periodontics and restorative dentistry.Patients frequently question the importance of considering all facets in a clinical regimen. Hopefully, I would be able to educate and contribute some information from the endodontic perspective.

Diplomate American Board of Endodontics, 35 years plus private practice experience. Formerly Professor and Chairman, Department of Endodontics at US dental school. Editorial journal reviewer for the endodontic section of The Journal of American Dental Association. Serve as a reviewer on several editorial boards.

American Association of Endodontists, College of Diplomates, American Board of Endodontics

Over 150 publications, abstracts, case reports, chapters in textbooks. J. Dental Research, J. of Endodontics, J. of Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology,The NEXTDDS J.For example: The Single File Approach for Predictable Endodontic Canal Instrumentation:The Wave One, THE NEXTDDS J. 4-2:13-17 Fall 2014 Non Surgical Management of an Endodontic Failure Utilizing Contemporary Technology, www.THENEXTDDS 5-1:60-63 Spring 2015 Are You Still Using Formocresol? An Update, Tn. Dent. J. 89-4:14-19 Fall 2009 Management of Endodontic Failures, Oral Surg.vol.66:711-Dec.1988

BA. DePauw University, DDS. University of Michigan, MS. Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Gen. Practice Resident, University of Connecticut, Endodontic Resident Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University

Numerous Awards and Honors, Edward P. Hatton Award( Int. Assoc. of Dental Research), Endodontic Memorial Research Award ( American Association of Endodontics) Outstanding Endodontic Department Teaching Award (given by dental students)Fellow American Academy of Dental Science