Dentistry/Weird Red Lesion under tongue

Question
Red spot
Red spot  
QUESTION: Hello Doc,

I noticed this under my tongue about 3 days ago when brushing my teeth. I've had a cold the past week and I'm prone to get Canker sores but usually they look white. Any Ideal what this could be? It was a little sensitive but no real pain. I have upped my dose of vitamin C to help combat the cold. Any info will help. Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Scott and thanks for your question.

I am sure you can appreciate the danger and difficulty of giving you a definitive diagnosis from a single image but given the fact that you are prone to canker sores and have had a cold recently, I wouldn't be surprised if your immune system is a bit run down. Signs hereof readily present in the mouth, in a multitude of ways - ranging from non-descript red and white lesions to more ulcerated lesions with more pain. My suggestion is that if this has not cleared up within a week, then get it checked out by your dentist. If it isn't trauma or allergy-related, then it could of course be invective in origin - either viral, bacterial or fungal. If those are eliminated, then a systemic cause should be looked such as a vitamin deficiency or even an auto-immune disorder. A biopsy should be taken if this persists or recurs. I hope this helps and wish you all the very best in getting the answers you need to this problem. Take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Today\'s lesion
Today's lesion  
QUESTION: Thank you for thoughtful response. I added another pic. It is starting to heal now. Just making sure it wasn't cancer

Answer
Hi Scott

You are very welcome. From the last image sent, it definitely looks as if the lesion is resolving, but its always best to be vigilant and have it checked out properly should it recur. Kudos for being so involved with your oral health, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)