Dentistry/Weird Red Lesion under tongue

Red spot
Red spot  
QUESTION: Hello Doc,

I noticed this under my tongue about 3 days ago when brushing my teeth. I've had a cold the past week and I'm prone to get Canker sores but usually they look white. Any Ideal what this could be? It was a little sensitive but no real pain. I have upped my dose of vitamin C to help combat the cold. Any info will help. Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Scott and thanks for your question.

I am sure you can appreciate the danger and difficulty of giving you a definitive diagnosis from a single image but given the fact that you are prone to canker sores and have had a cold recently, I wouldn't be surprised if your immune system is a bit run down. Signs hereof readily present in the mouth, in a multitude of ways - ranging from non-descript red and white lesions to more ulcerated lesions with more pain. My suggestion is that if this has not cleared up within a week, then get it checked out by your dentist. If it isn't trauma or allergy-related, then it could of course be invective in origin - either viral, bacterial or fungal. If those are eliminated, then a systemic cause should be looked such as a vitamin deficiency or even an auto-immune disorder. A biopsy should be taken if this persists or recurs. I hope this helps and wish you all the very best in getting the answers you need to this problem. Take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Today\'s lesion
Today's lesion  
QUESTION: Thank you for thoughtful response. I added another pic. It is starting to heal now. Just making sure it wasn't cancer

Hi Scott

You are very welcome. From the last image sent, it definitely looks as if the lesion is resolving, but its always best to be vigilant and have it checked out properly should it recur. Kudos for being so involved with your oral health, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)

I am a General Dental Practitioner, with special interests in Cosmetic Dentistry & facial aesthetics and Periodontology, placing a strong emphasis on the establishment and maintenance of a healthy periodontium (the support structure of the tooth) before cosmetic options are considered. I uphold all principles of prevention above interventional treatment and try as far as possible, to remain conservative in my approach. I believe in detailed, open and honest patient discussion, establishing what the patients expectations are and what the reality is of achieving this and involving the patient at every level of the treatment. I have strong principles on ethical treatment and appropriate patient management. I have chosen to treat and rehabilitate many nervous and phobic patients, who, for whatever reason, find it impossible to take part in the very important task of even a routine check-up. I will accept questions relating to general and cosmetic dentistry (in conjunction with the use of facial cosmetic procedures) and dental fears/phobias. I will be more than willing to answer any academic questions in dentistry, biology, physiology, psychology and health sciences in general. As most dentists will tell you, there is often not only one way of dealing with a dental issue - so very often, there is no precise right and wrong way of approaching the problem. All clinicians vary when it comes to treatments and what works best in their hands is often the treatment that is advised. Be understanding of this and bear in mind that nothing lasts forever! Patients are happy to accept only a one-years warrantee when buying a new car, but seem to expect that dental work is going to last them their lifetime.

I have worked for many years in the UK and RSA as a general dental practitioner - within the NHS, private practice and the government dental health services. I am certificated for the administration of Botox and Dermal Fillers for facial lines and wrinkles as I have attended further courses in minimally invasive facial cosmetic procedures. I started seeing an increasing number of patients who presented with severe to moderate dental fears, even with full-blown phobias, so I started with the slow and patient task of tackling this problem and have successfully rehabilitated many patients. The key is good, effective, concise and understandable communication, shifting control from the dentist to the patient in order to slowly, but confidently, regain their trust back in dentistry, thereby giving them the feeling of achievement and this self-empowerment which drives them to the next level of treatment.

Academy of General Dentistry. American Dental Education Association. IAPAM (International Association for Physicians in Aesthetic Medicine). Professional Speakers, Writers and Managements Consultants in Dentistry. The British Dental Association. UK Aesthetics Group. ARC - Aesthetic Professionals. Botox. Aesthetics & Beauty. American Association for Dental Research. FDI - World Dental Federation. SOURCE1uk. World Dental Hygiene Forum. ProDentalCPD. Public Health Dentistry. Dentist Network. LinkedIn. Who's Who of South Africa.

B.Med.Sc. Degree (Medical Physiology and Medical Virology; Physiology Cum Laude; Stell 1994). B.Ch.D. Degree (Bachelor of Dental Surgery; Clinical Dentistry Cum Laude; Stell 1997). CPR and CPR-Advanced Courses (2000/2001; UK). Clinical Botox (UK, 2001). Cosmetic Dermatology (Botox and Dermal Fillers; RSA 2011).

Placed on the Dean's List at University for academic achievement (1994). Highest achievement in the subject Dental Materials. Medal from 3M and the Radiology Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Dental Radiology and Imaging. Medal from The Periodontal Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Periodontology. Highest achievement for Oral Medicine. Highest achievement in Oral Pathology. Received the DASA (Dental Ass. of South Africa) Gold Medal for highest achieving dental student across the 5 1/2 years of the Degree. Passed the subject, Clinical Dentistry with distinction in final year.