Dentistry/White coated tongue

Question
Tongue
Tongue  

Tongue
Tongue  
Sir,

What causes dry, white tongue? I am susceptible to canker sores every now and then and I recently got over a cold. I attached a picture. Just can't tell if it is Thrush or if it's normal. I tryed using a tongue scraper, Orajel mouth rinse with peroxide and swished with warm salt water. What can cause this and how can I get rid of it? Thank you

Answer
Hi Sam and thanks for your question.

Let me start by saying that from the pics you have sent, your tongue looks completely normal - no signs of thrush.  The mouth is a very complex environment and due to the anatomy of the tongue itself, it is a very easy and rough surface for the accumulation of broken down food particles, saliva, shed cells and bacteria. The surface is rough due to the millions of taste buds and filament-like structures called papillae which protrude from the surface of the tongue. Given the large surface area on which debris can be accumulated throughout the day, and especially during the night when we are asleep and the mouth becomes a closed area for increased deposition on the tongue, we all need to clean a certain amount of build-up off our tongues in order to keep it clean. This varies from person to person, but in no way is regarded as pathology. This is all totally normal, and part of the oral hygiene practices we should all do daily to ensure healthy and fresh mouths. I hope this helps and wish you all the very best further.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)