Dentistry/dental filler material

Dear Doctor Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO
I have some small crator in side bottom of tooth. I have this problem for 6 teeth.I want to fill it up. Recent dental visit ,dr has taken digital xray. x ray  is quite normal. When we talk about filling material ,they recommened for Gic ( Glass Ionomer Cement (GIC)). when I asked to apply composite,they said it give lot of sensitivity later on. Is it So? I have searched and came to know composite is better than GIC which emit fluriode .kindly clarify

Dear Kumar,

First, I do not understand how, if you have crators in your teeth, how your X-ray is normal.  

GIC is better for you because, as you describe, you have crators in your teeth.  This indicates to me that you have very deep decay which is likely near the nerves of these teeth.  Your dentist is correct to use GIC.  While it is not as durable as composite, it is durable, and it does release fluoride.  This fluoride both desensitizes the nerves and improves decay resistance over time.

After some time [months to years], assuming that your nerves are not sensitive, you may use these as a base over which composite fillings may be placed.

Bottom Line:  I agree with your dentist.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.