Dentistry/Dental filling material suitability -reg

"Dear Doctor Joel S Teig,DMD
I have some small crator in side bottom of tooth. I have this problem for 6 teeth.I want to fill it up. Recent dental visit ,dr has taken digital xray. x ray  is quite normal. When we talk about filling material ,they recommened for Gic ( Glass Ionomer Cement (GIC)). when I asked to apply composite,they said it give lot of sensitivity later on. Is it So? I have searched and came to know composite is better than GIC which emit fluriode .kindly clarify

Kumar - composite fillings are solid fillings that last a long time.  The  negative aspect is that this filling discolors.  

The Glass Ionomer filling can be strong, but the placing of it takes much longer and is much more technical.  To properly place it, the dentist has to only place a thin layer then place a light on to solidify. This process needs to be done in layers slowly.  It is good if the filling will be placed below the gum.  

So you need to ask if the decay goes below the gum and if it does the glass ionomer is probably better but if not under gum, the composite will last longer and better.  So you have to speak with the dentist and find out.

I wish you well.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude