Dentistry/dental filling -reg

Question
Dear Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.
,
I have some small crator in side bottom of tooth. I have this problem for 6 teeth.I want to fill it up. Recent dental visit ,dr has taken digital xray. x ray  is quite normal. When we talk about filling material ,they recommened for Gic ( Glass Ionomer Cement (GIC)). when I asked to apply composite,they said it give lot of sensitivity later on. Is it So? I have searched and came to know composite is better than GIC which emit fluriode .kindly clarify

Reg
Kumar""

Answer
Hi Kumar and thanks for your question.

Both GIC and composite seem suitable materials for what you explain. I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that I cannot give you a definitive answer on whats best for you, without examining you myself. The benefit of GIC is the sustained fluoride release it offers the tooth, but it does not tolerate occlusal or biting forces when placed on posterior teeth as well as composite. Therefore it tends to wear down quicker during normal function. Another material to consider is compomers, which is a composite type material with the benefit of fluoride release, that one finds in GIC. If the cavity is small enough, a flowable material can be used instead of a packable material, which is a more conservative approach, but again this depends on the cavity size, location and your specific bite/occlusion characteristics. I hope this helps and wish you all the best further, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)