Dentistry/Post Root Canal

Dr. Amin,
I had a root canal performed on 6/6/06 and I still have a fistula above the tooth.  The fistula was present before the I had the root canal and is still there.  I was wondering when it should go away?  Is there a certain point that I should be worried that there is still an infection?  Is the infection still draining and I just need to wait?  I have had 2 upper and lower jaw surgeries and everything is numb, so I have no idea if the fistula is combined with pain. Thank you,

Hi Katie,
The fistula should close up in about 2-3 weeks after the root canal if the infection has been properly cleared.  There may still be a bump or redness, but fistula could be closed.  Is there pus still coming out?  If so, I would return to the endodontist (root canal specialist who performed the root canal) to evaluate the tooth.

Best of Luck,
Ketan Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Ketan Amin, DMD

Graduating from Harvard School of Dental Medicine, I received a broad understanding of both medicine and dentistry. I continued my training at New York University, as a dental specialist in endodontics, which concerns root canal therapy, related surgeries, as well as diagnosing and managing various forms of pain occurring in the head and neck

Dentistry; Specialist in Endodontics (Root Canal Therapy).

American Association of Endodontics American Dental Association American Academy of OroFacial Pain

Harvard School of Dental Medicine-Doctorate in Dental Medicine (DMD) New York University College of Dentistry-Certificate, Endodontics