Dentistry/crown, implant, tooth removal?????

Question
I had a root cannal done in NY on my last molar (left side) and was told that there was a temporary filling and that all I would need is a permanent filling in the future.  I had since moved to FL and did not have a filling put in.  My tooth cracked and a little broke off. I saw a dentist and he said that he could build it up..and do surgery and this and that..before I knew it my bill was over 2 grand! I didn't go forth with it.
NOW my tooth craked and broke again...the dentist I went to said to remove that tooth (the molar) use my wisdom tooth that is poking through as a replacement(with the aid of orthodontics) instead of an implant and have a crown placed on the tooth in front of it as he said the filling looks bad...then have all three wisdom teeth pulled.

Question is...I do not have a problem with the tooth that has a filling in it that he wants to crown.  It;s an old silver filing. Can't I just have it replaced with a new filling and save some $$?  What is your advice?
Thanks you!

Answer
Hi Angela,
Sorry to hear about your dental problems.  It's hard for me to say without seeing the tooth, but if the filling has a open margin, it's a pathway for food and bacteria to cause more decay so should be replaced.

Now, if the filling and amount of decay is large then dentists recommend a crown to protect the tooth against fracture.  If money is really tight, then you can get a new filling rather than a crown, but it's not ideal with regard to the health of the tooth.

Also, you can consult with an endodontist (root canal specialist) to make sure that the tooth that has to be extracted can't be saved with an endodontic procedure.

Best of Luck,
Ketan Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Dentistry

Ketan Amin, DMD