Dentistry/Funny Feeling

I recently had a wisdom tooth pulled from my upper jaw and a filling down on a lower tooth. Now, it feels like there is something stuck under my tongue on that side of my mouth. It has been that way since the numbing shots wore off, a couple days ago. Everything looks ok, not swollen or anything from what I can tell. It is not painful but it's very uncomfortable. If it doesn't get better Im not sure if I should go back to the dentist office or to my family doctor. Could this feeling be from the extracation or the filling?

Hi Kim,
I'm assuming the extraction and filling were done on the same side of the mouth.  These atypical pain situations can get tricky.  I know you said it's not painful, but even the with these funny sensations, it's tough.  If I had to pick between the two, I would lean more towards some referred pain/sensation due the extraction.  All the nerves from your tongue, lower teeth, upper teeth converge to one point before the going back to your brain to process the information.  Because of that, sometimes pain in one area, like the extraction site, can refer so your brain thinks it's something wrong under your tongue.

This is assuming that the filling on the lower tooth was relatively simple and not too deep.  Were you having any symptoms (hot/cold sensitivity, on pain on chewing) before the filling?  If so, or the filling was deep, you may be having some pain due to the proximity of the filling to the nerve inside the tooth.  Often this takes a couple of weeks for the nerve in the tooth to adjust to the new filling.

My advice is to wait and observe a few things about this sensation.  Pay attention to see if this sensation is getting better over a week or two, or if it's getting worse.  If it's getting worse, doesn't go away in two weeks, or if you develop hot/cold sensitivity, I would return to your general dentist and ask for a referral to see a specialist (endodontist) to evaluate the lower tooth and/or the extraction site (oral surgeon)--but the extraction site should be pretty obvious if it's healing well or not.

Best of Luck,
Ketan Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Ketan Amin, DMD

Graduating from Harvard School of Dental Medicine, I received a broad understanding of both medicine and dentistry. I continued my training at New York University, as a dental specialist in endodontics, which concerns root canal therapy, related surgeries, as well as diagnosing and managing various forms of pain occurring in the head and neck

Dentistry; Specialist in Endodontics (Root Canal Therapy).

American Association of Endodontics American Dental Association American Academy of OroFacial Pain

Harvard School of Dental Medicine-Doctorate in Dental Medicine (DMD) New York University College of Dentistry-Certificate, Endodontics