Dentistry/lo

Question
I recently saw a dentist who took it upon himself to grind down enamel on the back face of two teeth as well as the biting edge when doing some other work. When I rub my tongue against these two teeth the surface feels a little rough. My question is will the enamel regenerate over time and result in a smooth surface as it was before?  

Answer
Hi John,
Unfortunately, enamel does not regenerate over time; however any remaining enamel will become fortified by the flouride in your toothpaste and drinking water if your community flouridates it's water.

It probably won't be feeling "smooth"; I would ask your dentist (or another one you trust) to polish the rough areas with a fine diamond bur OR some pumice to get it smoother to your tongue.

Best of Luck,
Ketan Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Dentistry

Ketan Amin, DMD