Dentistry/Very strange sensation in tooth

Question
I was eating something two days ago and started having a very uncomfortable sensation in one of my upper molars.  Hard to describe, but it felt like something was MOVING in my tooth (not up in the gum area). Generally it was kind of like an electrical current/metalic feeling(?) When I touched it, the sensation became more intense. It was not pain, exactly - but something was definately going on with that tooth! Because of what I perceived as the metallic nature of the sensation, I was very supprised to discover that it originated in a tooth with a porcelain filling (not amalgam).

It lasted that evening and most of the next day.  It's better today, but it's still there and I'm trying not to antagonize it. (I've never felt anything like it - it's awful!)

I've haven't had any recent work done, but I've had a realy bad sinus infection that finally cleared up about two weeks ago. I also have what I think is some impacted wax in the opposite ear that is giving me grief as well.

Answer
Hi Gina,

If you were currently suffering from the sinus infection, I would suggest waiting to that clears, b/c sinus infections can cause sensitivity to touch in upper teeth.

However, since the sinus infection was 2 weeks ago, I would ask you to pay attention to the pain response to hot and cold foods.  If you are having temperature sensitivity, I am inclined to think there may be a problem with the nerve in the tooth. I would then see an endodontist as soon as you can.

If this continues or returns, I still advise you seek a consultation with an endodontist.  They are dental specialists who spent 2-3 years training beyond dental school in performing root canal treatment, and diagnosing dental pain.  He/She can tell you if it's a problem with the nerve in the tooth or related to something else and refer you the appropriate specialist/dentist to see if so.

The nerve and blood supply inside the tooth may be in the process of dying and that's why you're having those abnormal sensations...it doesn't always manifest as the acute pain people typically think of.

Best of Luck,
Ketan Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Dentistry

Ketan Amin, DMD