Dermatology/Vesicles inside lips, rash under lower lip

Chris wrote at 2009-05-16 18:27:09
I am 45 years old and have recently been making the connection with eating nuts and blood blisters on the sides of my tongue or insides of my cheeks.  Today it was cashews.  A few weeks ago it was roasted almonds.  At first I thought it was the roughness of the nuts being chewed abrading the mucosa, but now I'm suspecting it's the nuts themselves.  This never happened until this past year.  Good to know it happens to your father too.

Laura wrote at 2009-08-05 01:39:16

I, too have these fluid filled vesicles. I first noticed them last August. At that time I also developed other symptoms such as massive hair loss (I am a female) and intermittent skin rashes. I have been to many doctors. They haven't a clue, and I am a nurse practitioner and don;t have a clue other than I do have Hashimoto's thyroiditis but normal thyroid levels. If you find the correct diagnosis, keep me posted. Thanks.

Chet wrote at 2009-10-04 05:18:46
I also have a single fluid filled vesicle on the inside of my lower lip. For me, it showed up after I had bit down on my lip pretty hard while eating. The cut that was made from my teeth first form into a canker, then once the canker healed, this little fluid filled blister showed up. No pain or anything associated with it.  I can drain the fluid from it and it will go away for a few days up to a week before returning.  I thought that maybe I had damage one of my salivary glands on my lip resulting in the saliva to just "pocket" itself under a layer of skin or something.

Jet wrote at 2009-11-20 17:52:19
Mine started with one blister, it would seem to form overnight, then pop a few hours and then go away for a few days.  Then it would return.  It was always in the same spot and wasn't really an inconvenience.  Another blister formed a few months after the first one with the same cycle, and now I have 4 or 5 of them, all smaller than the first, but doing the same thing.  The fact they are clearly spreading is starting to worry me.  When they pop, the fluid is clear and sometimes there is a little bit of blood in it.

It sounds like no one is getting an actual diagnosis for this, but if you hear anything please post it.  I have been to two doctors and a dentist and they have no clue.  Thanks

wonderingchick wrote at 2010-01-09 03:36:42
Thanks for posting this Q & A. I have the same problem. It has only happened twice so far though. I have gotten a little clear bump/vesicle on the inside of my lower lip. The first one was not as big as the second one was, but reading the answer, it made me think: I never got these before, and I recently started eating plain almonds (bunches of almonds) as a snack, and I think that's when they started. Today I ate a bunch and that's when i got the second bump. Ima stop eating these for a while to see if they are the cause, and then try eating them again to make sure.  

BMP wrote at 2010-11-15 16:30:24
I'm a CDA (Certified Dental Assistant). In my opinion it looks like a commonly seen and harmless mucoucele.  I cannot diagnose but, can recommend you see your Dentist or an Oral Surgeon for a  confirmed diagnosis.  

Ruby Sanchez wrote at 2011-02-13 08:32:17
Try cutting half of a lime and letting it brown up on the stove and then put baking soda on the blisters and squirt the lime on there and rub in all over the blister and the inside of your lips. It will sting and possibly bleed a little but it works!..When i was little my mom would do this to me if i got a blsiter which was maybe twice my whole life..So i would try it if i were you:) hope it helps.!

oxfordandy wrote at 2011-02-16 23:12:18
that looks like a mucocele, try searching for it on google. the saliva glands get obstructed so they fill up with saliva

eyarita wrote at 2011-03-01 17:01:08
my daughter 20 and myself had one vesicle each and not on a moist part of skin and no friction in the area

leaves a round mark

I should think not ringworm as fluid filled

Sally wrote at 2011-08-02 01:55:19
I got something similar beneath my tongue a year ago. It seemed not like any infection. It appeared after I ate some gums. Because my skin is very sensitive, I thought it might be some allergy. Therefore, since then, I never eat any gum, and the symptom disappeared.  

Ed wrote at 2011-11-01 04:13:05
This sounds viral - like herpes/cold sores or a variant. I know you had a full panel and you were clean for herpes but I dunno. And you've ruled out bacterial and fungal already so viral makes even more sense. Try a 10 day dosing of Zovirax 800mg. You take one 5 times a day. So 50 caplets. About $70 from Target. Best of luck. Your dentist can probably prescribe this.

lilnil wrote at 2012-01-12 01:01:46
I was just reading on sores and blisters in the mouth caused by use of Splenda.  By any chance do you use a sugar substitute or Splenda?  It can be found in many non-sugar flavored waters or drinks.

shervin wrote at 2012-01-21 21:20:16
What you have is: Oral Bullous pemphigoid - nothing harmful...

Katey wrote at 2012-03-23 20:39:33
I am going to the doctor for the same thing but mine is on my cheek inside my mouth. I have had it for 8 years off and on and no one has been able to tell me anything about it. I go to a new doctor Monday. Maybe they can figure something out. I will let you know

Katelyn wrote at 2012-05-01 00:15:46
I have the same problem! I don't have cracks in the corners of my mouth however.  I just have the one bump and it is ALWAYS in the exact same spot in my mouth.  It started about a year ago now, and I don't know what to do about it.  

Mamo wrote at 2012-05-04 12:49:40
Hello George,

Is it possible to know if you were able to know what was causing this condition exactly?.

I also have this kind of vesicles, since a year now. I have them also at the interior of the cheeks/lips and between the thong and the lower palate and at the upper (soft) palate. Nothing at the exterior. As you mentioned these vesicles appear in a few minutes last for max 48 h, then nothing and they appear again. They are filled with a clear viscous liquid. They are not painful but really annoying. They started to appear within a monthly frequency but then the pace increased and now remains.

Thank you.  

Bob wrote at 2012-09-22 16:40:43
to anyone still reading this 3yrs later, George, your symptom and course of discovery should be very clear to you it is HSV2.  I doubt George was able to be seen by the doctor as soon as the blisters occurred; by the time doctor's did any kind test, it is too late, swab and culture needs to be done at onset of symptom, not days later!  DO NOT KISS ANYONE ANYMORE!  

Michelle wrote at 2013-08-12 09:25:18
I have had these for a long time.  I am on medications and have had panel(s) done for stds.  I have ibs and chronic pain from generalized ligament laxity.  I have noticed that I get a lot of them if I eat tomatoes.  We garden and I love tomatoes.  This year I have broken out in these to quite an extreme.  I get about two or three a day.  They bug me and I bite them.  Not saying this the best option, but that's what I do.  Maybe it spreads them I don't know.  I get cancer sores above my teeth quite regularly.  I'm not sure what causes yours but I was looking into mine and that's the only thing I can come up with.  I looked into allergy to acidity in food on google and found a youtube video about cancer sores.  It said that nuts, cheese, citrus, coffee, potatoes, bad diet and stress...  Good luck.

Bella wrote at 2013-11-08 08:29:31
I have it now and I believe it's from perservitive in wine. Only because it happens when i drink. I believe it's an allergy! I get these liquid filled clear blisters on my fingers too. Which I think is the same allergy. Hope this helps.

Bella wrote at 2013-11-08 08:29:31

lizzie22113707 wrote at 2014-01-10 03:51:40
I have the this clear blister inside my mouth on lower inside lip. I use this medication to help it thought it was a cold sore it would go down the next day but come back through out the day. I'm wondering if its because I drink a lot of green tea now and my mouth is getting affected even my enamel on my teeth and brown stains. I brush twice sometimes three times a day and floss at least twice a day plus mouth wash. I looked online about all the problems on youtube to figure how to cure it and came up with oil pulling which work like magic for a lot of problem with the whole body. YOu should look up oil pulling.

Natheer H Al-Rawi wrote at 2014-10-08 14:47:44
Dear Friend:

As I am consultant oral pathologist. This is called MUCOCELE or mucous extravasation phenomenon. This usually happened when there is minor trauma to minor salivary glands which is distributed in our mouth. The duct of these tiny mucous glands severed and the saliva produced by feeder gland will leak out producing this vesicle in fast pace and it disappear once it is ruptured and refilled again and so on.

Your treatment is very simple , go to any oral surgeon in your region and he will immediately diagnose it and treat it by simple surgical excision of the lesion and the feeder gland, a procedure usually dine under local anesthesia and does not take more than 15 minutes after that say goodbye to your suffering.  

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.