Dermatology/Rash stumped my doctor, how about you?

smaller lesion
smaller lesion  

larger lesion
larger lesion  
Hello and thank you for taking my question. I'm hoping you might know what skin condition is effecting me. I've developed a series of rashes, probably six in total on my neck, chest, armpit, and back. The rashes vary in size from larger than a quarter to far smaller then a pencil eraser. I've been using a cortisone cream that has effectively stopped the rashes from growing or developing further. The larger rash has shrunk tremendously and another near it is almost entirely undetectable. Still, others persist. I've had this condition for nearly three weeks. I've brought it to the attention of my GP whose guess was as good as mine. I was perscribed topical hydrocortisone cream which has shown success with some lesions, but others are healing rather slowly.

The larger rash never seemed to have any "crust" but the smaller ones seemed to have some dry skin build up covering them. They all feel rough and each is raised slightly above the skins surface. Sometimes they feel itchy, but scratching them results in a rather unpleasant burning sensation. I don't work around chemicals, I haven't changed my bath soap, and I don't believe that any chemical ended up on me although its possible (too much laundry detergent perhaps etc.) I've posted some pictures below. So what do you think?

Eczema  is term for a group of medical conditions that cause the skin to become inflamed or irritated. The most common type of eczema is known as atopic dermatitis, or atopic eczema. Atopic refers to a group of diseases with an often inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever.
Eczema affects about 10% to 20% of infants and about 3% of adults and children in the U.S. Most infants who develop the condition outgrow it by their tenth birthday, while some people continue to experience symptoms on and off throughout life. With proper treatment, the disease can be controlled in the majority of sufferers.
What Are the Symptoms of Eczema?
No matter which part of the skin is affected, eczema is almost always itchy. Sometimes the itching will start before the rash appears, but when it does the rash most commonly occurs on the face, back of the knees, wrists, hands, or feet. It may also affect other areas as well.
Treatment is with moisturizers like Cerave Cream which is OTC 4-6 timrs a day and prescription strength cortisone like Vanos or Clobex used twice a day.

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.