hai sir gud mrn recently i hav been loosing hair(beard) an my chin part, i dosent know why this happening, a small patch was also observen on my head am 22 years old am am feeling shy to raise my head as it appearing glower than my skin , am dioing repeated shaving , am nt getting hair ,what might b the reason , can u suggest me any treat ment

Alopecia areata is a condition that causes round patches of hair loss, and can lead to total hair loss.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

The cause of alopecia areata is unknown. About a fifth of people with this condition have a family history of alopecia.

Alopecia areata is thought to be an autoimmune condition. This occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy body tissue.

Alopecia areata is seen in men, women, and children. A major life event such as an illness, pregnancy, or trauma occurs before the hair loss in some, but not most patients

Forms of alopecia include:

Alopecia areata -- patches of hair loss, usually on the scalp, but they also can be in the beard or other areas

Alopecia totalis -- complete loss of scalp hair

Alopecia universalis -- total loss of all body hair

Most of the time there are no other symptoms besides hair loss, but some people may feel a burning sensation or itching.

Alopecia areata usually begins as one to two patches of hair loss, most often on the scalp. It may also be seen in the beard, eyebrows, and arms or legs.

Roundish patches of hair loss are smooth, and may be peach-colored. Hairs that look like exclamation points are sometimes seen at the edges of a bald patch.

Loss of all scalp hair (alopecia totalis), often within 6 months after symptoms first start.

Loss of all scalp and body hair (alopecia universalis).

Signs and tests

On occasion, a scalp biopsy may be performed. Several blood tests may be done, because alopecia areata may occur with autoimmune conditions.

If hair loss is not widespread, the hair will likely regrow in a few months, whether or not treatment is used.

Even for more severe hair loss, it is not clear whether treatments will change the course of the condition.

Typical therapy may include:

Steroid injection under the skin surface

Topical corticosteroids

Topical immunotherapy

Topical minoxidil

Ultraviolet light therapy

Use of wigs

Irritating drugs may be applied to hairless areas to cause the hair to regrow.

Expectations (prognosis)

Full recovery of hair is common.

However, some people may have a poorer outcome, including those with:

Alopecia areata at a young age

Eczema (atopic dermatitis)

Long-term alopecia

More widespread or complete loss of scalp or body hair

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>

published over 50 articles on the subject.