Dermatology/Small mark in my body beneath my arms

Question
1st pic
1st pic  

2nd pic
2nd pic  
Hello Sir,

I am 30 yrs old Male, I have got a small mark beneath my arm since long time (maybe since birth). I have attached an image of that mark in this question.

I was worried about it since long, Hence just wanted to confirm whether it is only a birth mark & nothing else.

Thank you

Answer
DYSPLASTIC NEVI (atypical moles) are unusual benign moles that may resemble melanoma. People who have them are at increased risk of developing single or multiple melanomas. The higher the number of these moles someone has, the higher the risk; those who have 10 or more have 12 times the risk of developing melanoma compared to the general population. Dysplastic nevi are found significantly more often in melanoma patients than in the general population.

Medical reports indicate that about 2 to 8 percent of the Caucasian population have these moles. Heredity appears to play a part in their formation. Those who have dysplastic nevi plus a family history of melanoma (two or more close blood relatives with the disease) have an extremely high risk of developing melanoma. Individuals who have dysplastic nevi, but no family history of melanoma, still face a 7 to 27 times higher risk of developing melanoma compared to the general population—certainly a great enough risk to warrant monthly self-examination, regular professional skin exams and daily sun protection.

I would see your dermatologist and get a biopsy of the pigmented lesion.

Dermatology

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>